Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happy Spring, To New Beginnings

There are a good many vegetables and fruits that you can grow from table scraps according to home gardeners of the inter-web. Anything, particularly organically grown fruits and vegetables, where you can acquire seeds, you can sprout seedlings with heat, sun and moisture.

In elementary school, we sprouted seeds from beans via a wet paper towel in a zipper bag left on a window sil. I wanted to try this with bell peppers, and so I have (that is what is in the bag).

When I moved into my apartment there was an abandoned window planter in the back yard. The problem is, that the back yard doesn't get much sun (could be a good place for fungus growth, perhaps?). We were going to toss it or recycle it for that reason, but today I decided to take some potting soil, old cans and containers I had been saving and some table scraps to start my own garden experiment.

I don't like to take a whole lot on faith being a lover of science, and so I took some info from UrbanFig & Healthy Houseplants and I planted a garlic clove that had begun sprouting, a celery stump, some onion, a mushroom (this is an experiment that I don't have much hope for, but I have to know) and an opened avocado suspended above a jar of water.

I will be updating throughout the progress of my little scrap garden. This is a project separate from the soon-to-come aquaponic garden that will be mobile in the back and front yards. My next post, hopefully, will be a review of the Aquaponics 4 You system, closely followed, we're hoping, by a video of our aquaponic project!

No comments:

Post a Comment